October 26, 2009
Hobo Dessert: Baked Apples in a Can
Remember last Friday's Hobo Meal in a Can? Alongside that one, I also made myself a little dessert to go along with the hobo theme. I made an apple dessert that cooks right in a can. Here's what I did.
-1 apple, sliced thin
-1 tbsp brown sugar
-1 tsp flour
-1 tbsp butter or margarine
-1/2 lemon to squeeze
-2-3 tbsp golden raisins
1. First, slice up the apples real thin.
2. Mix brown sugar, flour, and butter.
3. In a can (16 oz), alternate layers of apple and the sugar mixture.
4. When finished, squeeze the juice of half a lemon on top.
5. Finish off with a sprinkle of golden raisins.
Notice how these golden raisins keep popping up in my recent recipes? That is because I improvise recipes using stuff I already have (=save money). No need to go out and specifically buy all new ingredients for things like this.
When done, cover the top with foil
Bake 375F for 35 minutes or until apples are tender.
You can eat this plain like this...
Or you can use this as a topping for french vanilla ice cream, shortcakes, angel food cakes, or even oatmeal.
Yum, how's that for hobo dessert? :)
For a printable version of this recipe, please click here.